Friday 16 May 2014

Mein Slangs part 3

Erm, I think it's OK right to divide the slangs into three parts? Or maybe more? I tried to remember all of them by surfing my friends' Facebook for inspiration, but the ideas kept coming, so...

8. LAO NIANG 老娘

Inspired by the mainland China's famous TV series, Empresses in the Palace (甄嬛傳) or I don't even know where we got this brilliant idea from, me and some of my Medanese friend started to call ourselves lao niang just for fun, and after that we find ourselves laughing on the floor. Lao niang literally means old lady, and we use it for jokes to call our own selves, to give us a higher state or power or rank. Just like Taiwanese men call themselves "Lin Bei" or 拎杯 (it's a Hokkian for 你爸 or your father), but it's kinda rude.

Example:
(tomorrow's the H-day for Calculus exam)
A: 微積分! 為了你, 老娘跟你拼了!!!!
*Translation: Calculus! THIS! IS! SPARTA!


9. BING DOU 冰抖

Now this is an exciting one. Bing dou is a Taiyu form of 翻桌 or flipping the table. First saw it in a local Taiwanese movie. Just like this meme, we also have the same meaning, means "I'M SO ANGRY I WANT TO FLIP THE TABLE!" something like that.



10. QIU MI 啾咪

Ugh every freaking time I see this words in real life or in Facebook, I really want to punch her in the face. Kidding. No, I'm not. Here's the thing: some of the Taiwanese girls like to have this cute baby doll image, and they LOVE to act cute, to get boys' attention. I didn't say they are fake, though, I'm just saying that I don't really like this kind of cute. These girls' say 'qiu mi' to say hello or.. hm.. how should I put this... just like this emo, v( ^.< ) Get it, mate? 

11. GG Gee-gee 

For English native speakers, they use this as a shorter version of giggles, or maybe good game, depends on when they use it. We also use GG in Indonesia and Taiwan, different meaning, though. In Indonesia, GG or ge-ge, it usually means awesome, for example:

(situated in online game)
A: Gile, senjatanya C udah diplus ampe +16
B: Buset, GG amet~
*Translation:
A: Wow, C's weapon is enchanted to +16!
B: Nice, so GG~

But in Taiwan, we describe it as "I'm a dead-meat" or "I'm in huge trouble" that kind of thing. Maybe more like "你殘了你" in Mandarin or "MAMPUS LAH LU" in Indonesian. I hope you get this, more or less it's the same thing as "you're f*cked"

A: 啊! 糟糕! 我忘了交報告!
B: GG啦你.....
*Translation:
A: Argh! Damn! I forgot to do the project!
B: You're super dead, man....

12. Orz

Erm, I need more sources for this one. I saw my Taiwanese friends use it in Facebook so I guess it's an internet slang. If you look carefully, you'll see that "Orz" is like a man pounding his head on the floor to symbolize the emotion of frustration.
See it?
The "O" is the head
"r" is the hand and the body
"z" is like the legs kneeling.

13. KIA SI LANG 嚇死人

From all the slangs I have typed, this one is used most frequently. Kia si lang, Taiyu and Hokkian is the same, same meaning, same pronunciation, literally means frightened or scared to dead. The example is so easy, check this out.

A: (wearing a super heavy make up)
B: Walao eh?! Who you wanna scare, ah?! KIA SI LANG!

14. 北七 BEI QI or 白癡 BAI CHI

"白癡 bai chi" means idiot in Mandarin, and as you can guess it mainly used for calling others idiot or stupid. I don't think we need to explain this one thoroughly.

A: ARGH! I dropped my phone into the toilet!
B: Meh, bei qi ah you.

15. 無聊 BO LIAO

In Hokkian and Taiyu, it pronounced bo liao, meaning bored to death and there's nothing to do about it, usually with a negative purpose. Maybe more or less the same to "meh" in English.

A: Ah today so bo liao~ What are we gonna do....

4 comments:

  1. 笑死我了...我喜歡你放的圖..呵呵

    ReplyDelete
  2. 很好笑,是混合文化長大孩子的語言心得,再多些一點,記錄下來...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 很好笑,是混合文化長大孩子的語言心得,再多些一點,記錄下來...

    ReplyDelete