Friday 9 May 2014

Deutsch?

Approaching high-school's graduation: Hey, where are you going next? What university? Where? When? What subject?

Approaching university's graduation: Hey, what are you going to do next? Work? Postgraduate program?

I hate all these questions. I hate the end of something. Sometimes people say the end of something means the start of something new. C'est la vie. For me, it's the deadline of starting a new path in your life. Every time the end is near, I can't help feeling defenseless and vulnerable. It took a handful of courage to smear it on your face to finally walk the path and confront all the crisis ahead of us.

My comrades, from the same school, same nationality, one still feeling confused on choosing whether to pursue a Master degree or work, and two others prefer to work in Taiwan. Me? Still blank.

There's no way in hell I'll be continuing to exhaust my brain for a master. Bachelor of Administration is already enough for me. Yes, I still want to study, but not for a master program. Study for another foreign language, that's it. Japanese, Spanish, German, and maybe the variation of English accent all fascinate me. Sometimes I found myself reading out loud a couple of paragraphs with different accents of English: Indian, Malaysian, Singlish, or British.
Deutsch? 大好き 
As I'm scrolling through the pages of many university in Germany that offer language courses, I wonder, why I have this huge interest in learning German? I rewind my memory to previous trip back then, and at that time German sounded like music in my ear, and I feel challenged to master that language. After that, I was bewitched with a Japanese anime named Shingeki no Kyojin (進撃の巨人). Basically the anime take place in an imaginative world but still based on Germanic culture and language. Like commander Erwin, they pronounce it "Ervin", or the main character Eren Jäger, more or less same as how they pronounce it in German. I took my first German class in university with the most killer professor in the DFLL faculty, and earned my first ticket to learn German.

Fascinating, isn't it? How one thing lead to another, and now I'm planning to continue learning German in the land of Germany itself. Ah, well, personally, the best way to learn a new language is to blend yourself into the environment, like a chameleon.

I stumbled upon this blog, which says German is the first language you should consider to learn. BTW, surprisingly, my mother tongue (technically father tongue as my mom originally from Taiwan), is sitting comfortably in number four. Reasons? Here:
Yes, blame it on social media

Surprise, surprise. People thought that Mandarin will be the next international language as the growing China's vast economy. Who'd ever thought of Bahasa Indonesia will be in the top five.

No comments:

Post a Comment