Friday 9 May 2014

Mein Slangs part 1

I have been living in Taiwan for almost 4 years, and from my Taiwanese, Malaysian, or maybe my Indonesian friends who mainly from Medan, I learned quite a few Mandarin slangs, plus when to use them appropriately. I decided to write some of this slangs, as every time I return to Jakarta and going out with my friends, they all look bewildered with my use of word as we gossip. They said my Bahasa Indonesia has some Malaysian and Hokkian blended in it. Some of them are really quite funny. Check this out:

1. WASAI! 哇塞! or WAKHAO! 哇靠!
This one has been my favorite expression since my second year in here. I believe the word derived from Malaysian slang "WALAO EH", because of their similarities. Wasai (I use this word more often, as Wakhao is considered a rude word for Taiwanese) is used to express exclamation of surprise or amazement, can be used for positive or maybe negative shock. 

Examples? 
Here:

A: Eh, I heard that our hourly salary will increase to NT$300 an hour!
B: WASAI ?! Are you freaking sure, man?!
(background music: Pharrell - Happy)
or, 
A: Wei, did you know Y and Z broken up lately.
B: WAKHAO ?! Really?! Why?! They look so good together, tho?

2.  ...BA~ ...吧~
Looking at the raised eyebrows, let's give you an example first shall we?
(working with a new boss, boss looks friendly, on the outside)
A: Boss said you should work overtime today.
B: What the? I cannot lah! I don't think he's that kind of boss, ba~
(I will explain that lah after this)

See? Ba is used for a sentence's ending to emphasize the questionable factor in that sentence. "I don't think he's that kind of boss, right?"

Still confused? Hm, how about this?
A: (looking at the sky) Ei, the sky so dark, ah?
(ah? Later ah, later)
B: It's gonna rain, ba~
Understand? Understand? OK, let's move on~

3. ...Lah~ ...啦~ ...Luo/Lor~ ...囉/咯~
Aha, this one's is the most common one for those who come from Singapore or Malaysia. We don't use this kind of word, we usually use similar one for "lho", but how we use it is different. I started to use this word after I had some influence from my Malaysian friends, and later become one habit of mine.
I think we don't need examples, right? What? You need one? Alright lor~ See, I used it?


No comments:

Post a Comment