Tuesday 13 May 2014

Mein Slangs part 2

I tried to remember the slangs I have been using all these years, yet my brain doesn't seem to be working properly. I guess I really have Dory's brain from Finding Nemo. "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming-swimming-swimming~"

4. ... MEH ? 咩 ?
This one... is epic. Meh is my favorite one and I'm still using it so often that the people from my part-time job office still laugh at it. This slang is different from the real English one. In English, meh is used to express that you simply don't care about that subject. For me, or for Malaysian, they say it to question or to make sure about something.
Here's one sample:

(grilling satay)
A: Eh, I think that satay is ready.
B: You sure, meh? Still empuk-empuk (soft) for me?

5. PAISEH 歹勢 
Paiseh is a word commonly said in Singapore, Malaysia, or in Taiwan, derived from the Hokkian word of 'sorry' or 'excuse me'. Actually in Taiwan, if you want to talk to elderly, you should use more 台語 (Taiyu), which is similar to Hokkian, but with different accent. I can understand Taiyu, Hokkian is a little hard to understand though, as my Medanese friends usually speak very fast. I don't think you need and example to this one. Paiseh has the same meaning to enschuldigung, excuse me or sorry, permisi mas or maaf mas, sumimasen or gomenasai, etc.

6. (Warning, rude words) GAN SHA XIAO?! 幹啥小?!
My mom scolded me many times after I used these words back in Indonesia, and later I didn't use it anymore. These words are very rude, for common Taiwanese, and it is recommended not to say it. Gan sha xiao (I think) means 'what the f*ck' in Taiwanese, and mainly said by boys. Girls don't say this much, as these words can wreck their baby doll image lol. Em, should I type some example? You think? Em, okay.

A: (hit B's back very hard) Hey, bro! What's up?
B: GAN SHA XIAO LAH?! It hurts!
and after that they didn't talk for few days.

P.S. 幹 or gan is Mandarin word for 'f*ck', so don't use it. BTW mom, I don't use this word anymore, so don't be mad at me.

7. DIAO 
Erm, actually, the real meaning of this word is literally rude, means men's sexual part, but here Taiwanese use it for something that is extremely cool and awesome. Sometimes you can add a 好 (hao) to express more. It's easy if you want to use it, like this:

A: Wasai! Your new car hao diao!
B: Of course lah~

No comments:

Post a Comment